Did you know that alone and lonely Are so different from one another??
One of my friend has taken psychology as her major, so one day while we were chatting this topic popped and she told me that alone and lonely are so different from one another. So, being an inquisitive person I googled more about this topic.
Alone: When no other person is with you
Lonely: A kind of aching that resonates in your chest, a dull, constant feeling that follows around all day long.
When one is alone, one can love oneself and even connect with himself. But, on the other side, loneliness is the isolation that comes with an expectation unmet, a feeling unreturned, one shall blame himself or a feeling of being disconnected. One can feel lonely even a room full of people.
How to Avoid being lonely? Or how to overcome this feeling?
- Identify the reasons why you feel lonely.In order to make changes that will truly help you, you will need to take some time to figure out why you are feeling lonely. Consider some of the following questions to help you determine why you are feeling lonely:
- When do you feel the most lonely?
- Do certain people make you feel more lonely when you are around them?
- How long have you been feeling this way?
- What does feeling lonely make you want to do?
- Start a journal to track your thoughts and feelings. Journaling can help you to understand your feelings of loneliness better and it is also a great way to relieve stress. To get started with journaling, choose a comfortable place and plan to devote about 20 minutes per day to writing. You can start by writing about how you are feeling or what you are thinking, or you can use a prompt.
- Practice meditation. Some research has suggested that meditation may ease feelings associated with loneliness and depression. Meditation is also a great way to get more in touch with your feelings of loneliness and start to understand where they come from. Learning to meditate takes time, practice, and guidance, so your best bet is to find a meditation class in your area. Even apps can help you mediate, one such app is CALM.
- Consider talking to a therapist about how you have been feeling. It may be hard to figure out why you feel lonely and how to move past those feelings. A licensed mental health professional can help you to understand and work through your loneliness. Talking to a therapist can help you understand what is going on and decide on the best course of action.
- Consider getting a pet. If you’re truly struggling without companionship, consider adopting a dog or cat from your local animal shelter. Pets have been domestic companions for centuries for a reason, and winning the trust and affection of an animal can be a deeply rewarding experience.
- Get involved in activities. To make new friends, you will have to get out and get involved in things. Consider joining a sports league, taking a class, or volunteering within your community.
- Spend time with your family. Working to deepen the relationships with your family may also help you to stop feeling so lonely